febrero 17, 2013

Requesting a Research Article

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
Sir Isaac Newton (1675 or 1676)

You may have heard Newton’s quote. While doing research, you’ll certainly need to stand on giants' shoulders to understand your study and make contributions. In these days, we gain insights through reading papers published by our peers or attending conferences. However, while doing your literature review, you’ll find promising references that are not accessible in your institution. Or, you might have access only to online abstracts. If that is your case, I would suggest you to write to the corresponding author, requesting a copy of his or her research. Many authors may be flattered to know that their research is needed (or know that someone is working in something similar). To contact the corresponding author, google his or her e-mail, then write a request—below is a sample.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Dr. [name of the author],

I'm a researcher (or student) at the [name of the university or research center where you study or work] in [country’s name]—A university (or research institution) in [write the geographic region, e.g., Southeast Asia.] I'm carrying out a research on [research’s name] in [crop’s name (Scientific names)] using [give a brief introduction of your research] to reduce the disease effects. 
Recently, I found on Internet the abstract of your publication entitled ["research title"]; unfortunately, my institution doesn't have the journal where you published. And I'm really interested to read your article. So, I’m wondering if you can provide me a free PDF copy of your paper. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your courtesy.

Your name


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Erase the brackets in your final message. I used them only to hint what you might write. 




No hay comentarios.: